Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey and Noodles



I am a big fan of leftovers. As a matter of fact, everyone in the family is. I guess that is a good thing seeing how I always cook too much. Holidays where a big meal expected are no exception. There are 5 of us in my house. Me and Belinda and 3 kids, 9, 5 and 2. I count heads and cook for adults. It is a habit , maybe from my days as kitchen help in a small restaurant. The plus side is that there is always some extra. The down side is that I need a bigger fridge to stick the stuff in. We didn't have an exorbitant feast for thanksgiving this year but it was by no means, a meager meal. We made a whole turkey, instead of just a breast, for the first time in forever. That left us with quite the overabundance of poultry. I really am not a fan of turkey unless its thin sliced deli lunch meat so I have to figure out ways to use the leftovers. The first thing that came to mind is turkey and noodles. I know!Feakin turkey and noodles? Its good stuff though,and easy to make. If you choose to make it, here the deal This was made with the "That'll do" method... No exact measurements, just approximates. Dump in what you think will be enough because that'll do.

2 handfuls of left over turkey, chopped up
1 bag of egg noodles (I use the Amish kluski noodles)
2 large carrots, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 leek, cut length ways and diced
1/2 stick of butter
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of celery
black pepper, salt and chicken bullion powder. however much you want, that'll do
1 packet of turkey gravy.

Saute' carrots, leek and celery in butter til it starts to soften up and set aside. Boil the noodles to Al Dente' and dump out some water. You need just enough that it covers the noodles. Add the rest of the stuff to the pot.



Simmer for about a half an hour, stirring every once in a while. Add a little bit of water if it is too thick for your liking.


Go ahead and put it on top of some of those left over mashed taters because everyone know that your carb intake is nowhere near the front of your mind during this time of the year.



Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment