Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mandarin Orange Cranberry Sauce




I would bet that almost every blogger that posts about food has done a full spread on the meal that they prepared for Thanksgiving. I belong to a food smoking forum (although I haven't been active on there for a few months) and we post everything that we make on a smoker there. If you want to check it out it is http://www.smoked-meat.com and click on the forum tab. You'll have to join to post but you can lurk all day with no commitment. Anyhow, back to the original idea of the post. I am not going to subject you to the full menu of this years Turkey Day feast. For once in a good while, I did not steal the show and kick everyone else out of the kitchen... Mostly because I was 4 hours away. The day before Thanksgiving is usually my time to prepare for it. I try to make as much as I can ahead of time so that I can concentrate on the turkey on Thanksgiving. This year I was stuck in North Chicago at a paper mill for 8 hours the day before and didn't make it home until about 5AM Thanksgiving day. Belinda prepared all of the side dishes except for the cranberries the night before, while I was sitting in the loading dock. I am grateful! I got a few hours of sleep and started the bird. While I was waiting for the turkey I was bored out of my gourd so I started looking for something to do and I realized that we didn't have cranberries. Honestly, I can do without the turkey but I have to have the cranberries. I had Belinda pick some up while she was out running an errand. Here is how I do mine


1 bag (12oz) fresh cranberries
1 1/4 C white sugar
1 C water
1 chai tea bag
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1-2 drops rum extract
1 large can of Mandarin oranges (drained)
1/2 C crushed walnuts

Put water, sugar, extract, and pumpkin pie spice in an medium sized sauce pan on medium heat. Stir just til the sugar melts and put the tea bag in. Continue to heat til boiling. Remove the tea bag and squeeze the liquid out of it into the pan. Put the cranberries in and cover. Let boil for 5 minutes and turn to low. Remove the lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in oranges. Chill in the fridge til cold and top with walnuts and whipped cream. Also goes good on pumpkin pie

No comments:

Post a Comment